Bhaavya Bhatnagar - Recreating fashion with her own designs!
A fashion designer with a difference, Bhaavya Bhatnagar blends her love for art, history, culture and the human psyche to create her signature style under her eponymous label. Let's hear her talk more about herself, and her journey in the field of fashion designing!
1. Describe the "woman" Bhaavya Bhatnagar in 3 words.
Passionate, dreamy and sensitive
2. What inspired you to pursue fashion designing? Did you have any role model?
It has always been very important for me to constantly explore new dimensions of my imagination and being. The idea of designing and creating for a living excited me and encouraged me to pursue fashion after studying economics.
People always inspire me. At that time it was Bibhu Mohapatra, who I was thrilled to work under. Currently it is Riccardo Tisci. My parents, who are both successful entrepreneurs, are my permanent role models.
3. What has been the most rewarding experience in your journey so far?
To have my dad say, “Baby, I’m so proud of you” with such happiness in his eyes!
4. What, according to you, is the USP of your label?
My label is a coexistence of art, emotion and quality.
5. How has Parsons, the New School for Design (New York) and Fashion Institute of Technology enriched your passion for fashion designing?
It was New York City! Being amongst the most talented people, living and working in the fashion district and learning from the best professionals were the obvious enriching factors. But, absorbing the vibe of the city, living in the heart of such cultural diversity and most importantly, being independent, not only helped me discover my design sensibilities but also widened my horizons as a human being.
6. What are the challenges you had to face in your career?
Understanding the balance between art and commerce has been a challenge. I am learning by doing, questioning and criticizing myself every single day. The biggest challenge is living up to my own expectations!
7. Ten years down the line, what are the milestones that you aspire to reach?
I aspire to make a strong global presence and spread smiles through beautiful clothes.
8. What would be your word of advice to our readers, many of who might be fashion designers in the making?
Always be excessively passionate and speak through your craft.
9. What does woman empowerment mean to you?
I feel that women are agents of change. An empowered woman empowers her family, and the chain trickles up, leading to sustainable development of the society. It is the most important issue to address.
10. Are you glad to be a woman? Why?
Yes, I am extremely glad to be a woman. We are so dynamic, blessed with powers to be compassionate, strong, emotional, responsible, loving and ambitious all at once.